Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
This lazy cabbage rolls recipe gives you the same great flavors of stuffed cabbage with much less effort. Lazy cabbage rolls are so juicy and comforting…
Ingredients [ For 12 to 14 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 38 minutes ]
For The Lazy Cabbage Rolls
- 4 cups cooked white rice (from 1½ cups uncooked rice), cooled to room temp
- ½ medium cabbage, sliced into ¼” wide strips (7 cups sliced)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion, divided (1/2 grated and ½ finely diced)
- 2 large eggs
- Original Mrs. Dash, or any salt-free all-purpose seasoning
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley or dill
For The Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 large carrot, julienned or grated
- 2 cups store-bought marinara or homemade
- 3 cups hot water
- Oil a 9×13 casserole dish, preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Slice cabbage into ¼” thin slices. Place in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit 10 min to soften.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water with your hands.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, ground pork, drained cabbage and 4 cups cooked rice.
- Grate ½ large onion into meat mixture. Add 2 eggs, 1 tsp Mrs. Dash, ½ tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt, and 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley.
- Mix well. Form into potato-shaped patties with your hands (each should be about ½ cup of the meat mixture).
- Arrange in oiled casserole.
- For the sauce, finely dice remaining ½ large onion. Heat a large pot over medium/high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil and 3 Tbsp butter.
- Add diced onion and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or until softened.
- Add julienned carrot and cook another 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add 2 cups marinara and 3 cups hot water and bring to a boil.
- Add ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp Mrs. Dash, or season to taste.
- Pour sauce over patties until they are nearly covered. Cover with foil and bake on the medium rack at 425˚F for 40 min.
- To serve, plate the lazy stuffed cabbage and spoon the extra juice over the top.
- Serve with sour cream (my favorite) or plain Greek yogurt.